I am a free thinker but I lean towards the teaching of Buddhism

Saturday, December 3, 2011

About myself

This is the first time I am blogging and it will basically tell my life story in achieving my dream life style. I was born into a fairly rich family and stayed in a semi-detach most of my life.  My father was a businessman and he owned a hardware distribution business with his business partner (my uncle). Business was successful and my younger brother and I never tasted hardship.

My father was a businessman most of his life and he always provide us the best life he can afford. I still remembered him buying me a car just after I passed my driving license when I was just 19 yrs old. At that time, I was one of the very few JC students driving to school. I was enjoying life in JC1 and I nearly failed my promotional examination. One fine day, my father asked about my study and instead of giving me a scolding, he asked me to quit JC and help him in his business. I was a little shocked as he seldom talk to me or show concern about my study. Deep down in my heart, I knew I can easily get into our local University as I was not even trying hard for my JC1 exam. Nevertheless, I told my father that I will try my best to get a degree. I never really understand my father's intention but now I truly understand his feeling. My father is a tow kay most of his life and he doesn't want his sons to be working for someone else. He strongly believes that being a entrepreneur is the only way to achieve the life style most people dream of.

When I was in my teens, I love to day dream about owning big bungalow with many fancy super cars lining up at the garage. I would also dream about running a business more successful than my father and retire at age 40. As I grew older, I realized that life is not a bed of roses and I have to downgrade my dream. The big bungalow became a condo and all the super car became just one continental car.

I graduated with a Engineering Degree in July 1997 and my first job was a System Engineer earning $2450/mth. I still remember that it was the beginning of the Asian Financial Crisis and everything seem so gloomy. This further dampened my dream and I was brought down to Earth.

I started working in my father's business in 1998. After 1-1/2 year with my father and uncle's business, my brother and I established a new business in 1999 and ended the 26 years of business partnership with my uncle. Life was good to us and our new business was quite successful. In 2008, we sold our company to a foreign listed company and our family pocketed a tidy sum. Life as a entrepreneur was very different after we sold our business. We were asset rich but cash 'poor'. We are now cash rich and I have to quickly adapt a new strategy to manage my new found wealth. After experimenting with different investment strategy, I grew more confident of my investment strategy to generate passive income. I decided to 'retire' at age 39, one year before my dream retirement age.

I will blog about my life from an entrepreneur (10 yrs) to an passive income investor (4 yrs). I never expect to blog about myself as I consider myself to be someone who likes to live a private life. Maybe I have become too bore after retirement.

5 comments:

  1. Nice! :) Looking forward to hearing more of your life journey and especially the last 4 yrs of passive income generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be posting what I did in the last 4 years. I have just posted my first installment but there is nothing eventful as my focus then was to manage the business and get back all my money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello YJ72,

    I came to your blog via your comment at CW8888's post on class 2B :)

    We have something in common beside wishing to ride a bike during NS - I see you like Buddhism too! I am agnostic though. My thinking is not free; it's wild!? LOL!

    Wow! You are in the same league as AK and WJ ;)

    I more the HDB heartlander league; but just as happy :)

    Looking forward to your future postings!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi SMOL

    Ever since I lost my day job, I switch my attention to building up my passive income. In the course of my research, I stumbled over some blog articles on REITS and Preference Shares. Since then, I am faithful follower of blogs by LP, AK71, CW, WJ and you.

    My mind is definitely not free but I believe in Karma. Karma keep me in check and it help me in decision making that might affect others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi,

    You are my hero. Can you add my blog to yours?

    SG Web Reviews (www.sgwebreviews.blogspot.com)

    Thank you.

    Regards,
    SG Web Reviews
    www.sgwebreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete