I am a free thinker but I lean towards the teaching of Buddhism

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Books For Aspiring Entrepreneurs

Throughout my life, I never like reading book of any kind. The only type of book that I read was text book so that I can get through Singapore education system. However, there are two books that caught my attention.

Who Moved My Cheese?

When I started the 'new' family business, my brother and I were the executive directors and my father was the 'adviser'. As our business grew each year, I had to deal with more employees and managed everybody problems, needs and expectations. I was stressed out minding everyone business and making sure that the business ran smoothly.

Through one of my friend's recommendation, I bought the book 'Who Moved My Cheese?'. You may ask why this book as I am the one moving the cheeses around in the company. To make a business successful, we need to understand that the most important asset is the people. Without happy and committed employees, the company will not be successful. This book actually provided me some insights on the change in life and work that affect everyone and the reactions to these changes. A good management need to understand and empathize what the employees go through so that the best possible decisions can be made.    


Rich Dad Poor Dad

When I was in my late twenties, I was given a book titled 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' by one of my father's business partner, Mr G. Since it was given by someone that I have respect for, I forced myself to read it and hoped to understand the significant of his gift. I never really finished the book but I gathered that Mr G wanted me to understand that being a entrepreneur is one of the means to gain financial freedom.

It is not difficult for me to understand this concept as my father was a entrepreneur. However, I did not really believed that my father achieved financial freedom just by owning a profitable business. I believe that to achieve financial freedom, we need to convert our asset class back to cash or equivalent so that we can make money work for us and not us working like crazy for the money. Being a entrepreneur need full time commitment and time is very precious to us. We had significant business asset but very little time to enjoy the fruits of our labour. Thus, financial freedom is truly achieved when we have broken free from the 'Rat Race' of the entrepreneur.

The opportunity came when a foreign company expressed interest in acquiring our business. Without much hesitation, I sized the opportunity and convinced my brother and father to sell the business. Selling the business does guarantee financial as we still need to learn how to make the money work for us. I am still learning today and I believe it will be a life long journey.

    
Note:
I understand that many have read these two books but everyone form different opinions and react differently. As for me, I decided that if I am in a dilemma, I will apply the Buddhism concept of Karma to assist in my decision making process that may affect the life of others. I am not a religious person but it helps me to have a peaceful mind

No comments:

Post a Comment